Wednesday, September 1, 2010

William Eggelston




Title: Tricycle
Artist: William Eggelston
Medium:
Year:

Artist's Biography – (50-75 words): William Eggleston was born in Memphis, Tennessee, but grew up in Summer, Mississippi. When he was younger he would buy postcards and cut pictures out of magazines. He was interested in playing the piano, drawing, and electronics. He attended Vanderbilt University for a year, Delta State College for a semester, and the University if Mississippi for five years; he never got a degree. He first became interested in photography at the university of Mississippi when his friend gave him a Leica camera. He was influenced by Robert Frank(Swiss photographer) and Henri Cartier-Bresson's (French photographer) book The Decisive Moment. Eggleston taught at Harvard for a year and in the same year discovered dye-transferring printing, usually used for advertisement, and applied it to his own images. His most famous photo is the "Red ceiling" taken in 1973.



Personal Reaction – (50 – 75 words): I really like his work. It's very saturated, but it works and really captures my attention. He actually kind of takes pictures the same way I do. I think my favorite pieces by him are; the field of yellow and purple flowers 1978, Tricycle. I really love his Tricycle picture it's just amazing I love the composition and the perspective. The picture actually reminds me a lot of how I take pictures.




Name (please only include if it is ok to publish on blog):

No comments:

Post a Comment